Monday, September 1, 2014

Harvest has finally begun

We had some timely rains and temperatures were cool when the crops were flowering (that helps with the yield).   So, the crops look pretty good.  Because of the cooler temps it has taken longer to get things to ripen and dry in order to harvest.  Patience.

We were finally able to get into the field.  We had about 200 acres of Yellow Peas to combine.  Ours ran about average while our son's ran better.  Guys got that all done.  They moved on to the Winter Wheat.  We are shut down now for a few days as we had some more rain.  It seems like the Winter Wheat is yielding pretty good but we have heard reports that the elevators don't even want to take it due to very poor quality.  I have not taken a sample of ours to the elevator to see how ours is.   The elevator (local business used to market our crop) has special equipment to test the quality of the grain.  Brett can see that there are some kernels with a bit of mold (Vomitoxin and Egret) which hurts the cash value of the crop considerably.

Combining the Winter Wheat

Another problem we have had concern about is the water.   Some of our sloughs (wet areas) have grown over the summer.   Usually they dry up and we then hay them in the fall.  Yes, we had quite a bit of rain this year.  Many of the rural roads are in poor condition due to so much water along them for so long - that softens the road bed.  There are concerns of how to get our equipment to fields and the crop hauled out of the fields.  

We found out just how wet one field was when the combine got stuck.  The operator was working his way back to the trucks to unload the hopper (location on combine to store grain) when he got too close to the edge of a slough.  The water had come up so far that you can't even see the edge as the wheat is standing in water.

A couple of looks at the tires in mud.  It doesn't look too bad.  
However, when you realize that there is about 15,000 pounds (abt 250 bushels) of Winter Wheat in the hopper and, since this was on a side hill, that had slid down to the lower side, we have a problem.

So, we got a truck to back up alongside the back of the combine.  We could then unload some of the grain from the hopper.   After doing this twice, we were able to pull the combine out using one of our tractors.

Successful pull

And it was back to harvesting - after eating our dinner which was now cold!  We finished that field and moved on to the next one.   The day ended with a break down on the combine and more rain.


  1. We had about 7 to 8 inches of rain here about a week ago. Stopped harvest in its tracks. Rain is always welcome here, but not necessarily during harvest.

    1. I did see your photos. What a horrible mess that caused. We rarely turn down rain either.

  2. Hope your winter wheat turns out ok. Getting stuck in mud is the pits!

  3. Excellent weblog here! Additionally уouг website so mucҺ սp very
    fast! What host ɑгe you the uѕe of? Can I am etting ʏoսr affiliate link fоr yoսr
    host? I desire my web site loaded up as fast aѕ youгs lol

    Нere is my homepage ... aging wrinkle cream (